The pfSense Store

Author Topic: NAT Type 3 on PS4 - I've tried everything I can think of  (Read 25977 times)

Offline kejianshi

• Debugging...
    • View Profile
Re: NAT Type 3 on PS4 - I've tried everything I can think of
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2017, 11:03:54 pm »
I find that disabling the firewall completely makes everything work very well. 

Offline Napsterbater

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2017, 11:30:03 pm »
I find that disabling the firewall completely makes everything work very well.

NAT/NAPT is not a Firewall. It's a hack as is, and having it futher mangle traffic/break stuff (by randomizing ports), is backwards, especially for the extreamly tiny tiny "benifit" it provides if you are even being targeted by such attack vs the Apps/Services/Devices (Consoles/Games, VoIP, P2P) it causes issues with, which are in the scheme of things are still small but still much much much bigger then what it helps. Again it's not security, it's obscurity.

Nice straw man argument though.

Can't wait for legacy IP and its associated NAPT and the thinking that comes with it to be gone, or atleast in the minority, not going to be able to rely on that crutch with IPv6.

Edit: Added "(by randomizing ports)" for clarification.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:03:14 pm by Napsterbater »

Offline kejianshi

• Debugging...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2017, 12:08:55 am »
I'd never argue with a straw man  (-;

On that, I totally agree.  NAT is a huge PITA.  I'm a huge fan of IPV6.  Can't' wait for IPV4 to become mostly extinct so that all these broken connection problems disappear.  I run IPV6 and it solves so many problems, particularly for servers. 

Offline bgbird03

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2017, 10:57:46 am »
Do you guys have any great BASIC "firewall rules" places to start? I'm going absolutely bonkers with my pfblockNG enabled because a whole bunch of stuff just doesn't work.

First it was my Bumble dating app...had to go through and create 4 different rules for that (seems like I can only allow one destination IP at a time in each rule?), so that was fun. And now this morning it is my BBC News app...I'm at 9 rules for that (they have a range of servers that the app calls out to, like 212.58.246.110-112)! I can't figure out how to input ranges in my firewall rules, and even then, I feel like this is going to be an epic struggle for the rest of my life (fighting against myself) when say, BBC decides to change the IP ranges on their end; in other words, this solution is temporary and great for learning, but not exactly the sort of robustness I would expect in a corporate environment. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks (by the way, I have about 1000 other issues ranging from VPN speeds to certificates to proxy server feature sucking, but I'm trying to keep it limited to the issues we were talking about).