pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: Connecting to PPP/L2TP  (Read 3202 times)

Offline seitys

• View Profile
Connecting to PPP/L2TP
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:09:27 pm »
I purchased a VPN with a L2TP/PPP login. Are there any guides on how to get this setup in pfsense? I'm using the latest 2.2 snapshot amd64.

In interfaces, I see a place to put a username and password for L2TP but I'm not sure where to put a username/password for PPP.

Edit: Maybe its PPTP and not PPP? Under PPP, it asks for a phone number but no phone number was provided by my VPN provider. They mentioned L2TP AV pair hiding, not sure what that really means. I'm a little confused on how to set this up.

The information I was provided:

LNS Server
PPP Username
PPP Password
Tunnel Username
Tunnel Password
Usable IP
Subnet Mask
Gateway
DNS Servers
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:14:46 pm by seitys »

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting to PPP/L2TP
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:44:38 pm »
The functions in pfSense for an L2TP WAN are meant for an L2TP ISP, not a VPN provider. I don't believe that it can be made to work for the purpose you describe.
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!

Offline screamingservers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:58:30 pm »
omfg wast of time

Offline maxfactor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 10:19:50 am »
It's all about networking pops... as a member mentioned before... we are not doing anything that we dont mind big brother seeing... we are trying to watch Net & Flix... yes pptp is compromised but if a person wants to sniff my packets while i'm watching Net & Flix sure fine go ahead... enjoy the show as well...

Anyway I hope you are network savvy.... My setup uses two separate lans.... so I can hop between Americas and my Home country... but i will do a typical setup...

We need to create 2 vlans...

vlan 2 will be wan 2 (pptp) and vlan 3(lan2) will be the ghost network...

so say you have 1 wan and 1 lan....

create vlan 2 as a sub of wan and vlan 3 as a sub of lan

so say your lan is 192.168.1.x then create vlan 3 as 192.168.2.x/24 (can be even 32 as we need just 2 i.p. addresses)

enable lan2 and configure static and such.

so the ghost network is up and we will configure nothing for this in the firewall

goto pptp and use vlan 2 notice it ask you for a local ip... enter 192.168.2.2 since the gateway is .1

enter the rest of the credentials from you provider and save...

goto interface and create wan2 with pptp0 and ensure dial on demand is 0 and mtu is 1492...

after saving your strong vpn or whatever should come up

goto your firewall rules and point your lan to this gateway and enjoy your Net & Flix