Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Setting up Tomato Wifi Router behind PFSense  (Read 7642 times)

Offline Derelict

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up Tomato Wifi Router behind PFSense
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 04:38:54 pm »
You sure you have the right re port?  Other than that, sorry.  No idea.  Maybe the realtek driver sucks.
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Use this diagram to describe your issue.
The pfSense Book is now available for just $24.70!
Do Not PM For Help! NO_WAN_EGRESSTM

Offline RickJ

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »
Oh my goodness.

My co-worker labelled all the re ports friggin BACKWARDS! So, after all that meticulous configuration, when I plugged the wire into the correct port, everything started working instantly. I'm going to have to do something terrible to him for this...it never even occurred to me that he wold label the ports incorrectly.

That said, thank you so much for your help Derelict, I really appreciate it. Without going through all these steps the config wouldn't have been set correctly had I had the correct port plugged in at the beginning.

A million thanks, and now I'm going to celebrate, and then beat my co-worker with the PFSense manual until justice has been served.

Offline Nullity

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 05:44:26 pm »
Oh my goodness.

My co-worker labelled all the re ports friggin BACKWARDS! So, after all that meticulous configuration, when I plugged the wire into the correct port, everything started working instantly. I'm going to have to do something terrible to him for this...it never even occurred to me that he wold label the ports incorrectly.

That said, thank you so much for your help Derelict, I really appreciate it. Without going through all these steps the config wouldn't have been set correctly had I had the correct port plugged in at the beginning.

A million thanks, and now I'm going to celebrate, and then beat my co-worker with the PFSense manual until justice has been served.

Haha. Glad to see this resolved.

Hell, I occasionally get confused about my pfSense interfaces and I only have 2 of them.  ::)
Please correct any obvious misinformation in my posts.
-Not a professional; an arrogant ignoramous.

Offline Timp1

• View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Setting up Tomato Wifi Router behind PFSense
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 04:18:23 am »
Hi Everyone!

I can't seem to get my wireless router to cooperate and I'd be forever grateful for some help. Here's the setup I'm trying to accomplish:

Gateway ---> PFSense box ----> Wifi-Router

I have referenced these two places, but neither has helped me through to the finish:

(Main PFSense help doc for this)
(Post by someone from 2008 who was trying to do the same thing)

Unfortunatley the second post petered out due to the original poster's misunderstanding of subnets.

My Tomato Wifi-Router Setup:

WAN: Disabled

LAN
IP: 192.168.0.2
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (pfsense address)
DNS: 192.168.0.1 (pfsense address)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Disabled DCHP.

As far as I know things should be working from these settings, so I'm pretty sure the error is coming from my PFSense config.

I have the Wifi-Router plugged into my OPT1 port, which I"m pretty sure is the problem. What settings do I need to supply in my OPT1 interface to successfully get things running?

Current OPT1 interface settings:

(Interface Enabled)
IPv4 configuration type: DHCP
IPv6 configuration type: none

The rest of the fields are empty except for the hostname that is currently "testwifi"

I have also gone into the firewall rules for OPT1 and added a rule to let all IPv4 traffic pass.

It would probably be best if I could just bridge my OPT1 port to the LAN port that is currently configured, but barring that what do I need to do to adjust my OPT1 settings? I can't just copy/paste my current LAN port settings can I? (I assume that copy/pasting would cause a conflict when both LAN and OPT1 try and use 192.168.0.1 as their static IPv4.)

Thanks for taking a look!  :)

RickJ's post almost got me to success.  I have an R7000 wireless router running Shibby Tomato v1.28 and plugged into the LAN port on my wired only PFSENSE appliance.  In addition to RickJ's advice, I realized I needed to go into Advanced/Routing.  Under the Miscellaneous tab, I had to switch the Mode from 'Gateway' to 'Router'.  Once I did that, everything magically started working. In my case, my appliance is set to 192.168.1.1, the R7000 is set to 192.168.1.11