Administrative > Feedback

Share your pfSense stories!

(1/4) > >>

jdillard:
This thread is meant to be a place for you to share your stories involving pfSense.

You can share implementations, specs, configurations -- the idea is to help others gain insight and help them take design elements based on real implementations.

So, what is your case study?

Thanks to several people including Snailkhan, FlashPan, and jonesr for getting the idea going. I'll try and fill this description post out more in time.

Blade Runner:
My goals were a reliable internet connection and a router that could handle torrents. Nothing worse than seeing that yellow caution icon without an internet connection. I overloaded two Asus routers with torrent activity. It was almost two months before determining the cause of my internet woes was the combination of consumer-grade router hardware and firmware with torrent activity. I considered Cisco, SonicWall, ZyXEL USG40/40W, Sophos, OPNsense before opting for pfSense. I wanted to configure router to send traffic through VPN with PIA. I have server-grade motherboards and compatible RAM for a pfSense device so it made a tough decision somewhat easier. I didnít want either Linux based firmware or Ďanother computerí. I have structured wiring which means wireless is not a concern. I do not wirelessly stream video or games. Wired clients are 5 HTPC, 2 HDTV, 4 WDTV boxes, server, tablet, NAS and PC equipment. Wireless clients are smartphones.

Specs
M/B: Supermicro X8SIA-F
CPU: Xeon X3470
RAM: 16GB ECC
HDD: WD Blue 250GB
WAP: Asus RT-N56U

Configuration
Snort
pfBlockerNG
Squid3

Iím still learning about packages and considering Surcata. I havenít done anything elaborate with configuration.

I will be upgrading to Supermicro A1SRM-2758 with 8GB RAM to take advantage of features such as AES-NI and Quick Assist Technology for VPN.

jdillard:
Thanks Blade Runner!

I'll go ahead and cross-post this "case study" /u/sysvival posted over on the pfSense subreddit a while back to keep the ball rolling:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/1mk54f/building_an_enterprise_network_using_pfsense_and/

It's a great read.

jdillard:
Here is another of someone replacing all of their remote Meraki devices with SG-2220s. They also had a MX90 at corporate and have replaced that with an SG-4860.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/42syzb/bye_bye_meraki/

jonesr:
I'm repeating myself from the comment jdillard referenced:

Myself, I have worked in IT for decade+ and have used pfSense for 8ish years. Until three years ago I was working for SMBs and what I do at home puts the earlier IT company employer's infrastructure to shame. Now I work in the IT department for a school and get excited whenever my boss mentions he is considering pfSense, after my strongest recommendations.

I think I started out with pfSense for similar reasons to Blade Runner, my ISP supplied modem/router would just freeze up if I "used too much internet". I would say I was one or two steps above absolute novice at the time, so my appreciation for pfSense beyond the usual its free/high quality/comprehensive features/expandability comes from how it made me want to try new things for the sake of it, improve my knowledge and learn new skills.

I used pfSense a fair bit when I worked at a IT training company. I delivered CompTIA's Network+, Security+ and Server+ and ended up replacing most of the labs in the training materials with pfSense equivalents, the students loved it. One in particular said to me in a breathless whisper "We pay £1000's for X and this thing does everything it can do and more".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version