Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Adding a separate USB-Serial console to SG-2440 - /etc/ttys woes?  (Read 521 times)

Offline Strider3000

• View Profile
Running 2.4 Beta on official SG-2440 hardware.

Netgate SG-2440 hardware comes with a built-in USB console for debugging.
I'm trying to add a separate "physical" serial port console to the SG-2440, mainly for the purposes of "cheap" out of band debugging from devices that support physical serial redirect function, such as some Cradlepoint routers, SpiderDuo KVM (etc).
I got a suggestion to try using an FTDI-based USB to serial adapter:
When plugged into a SG-2440 USB port, pfSense "sees" it as a serial adapter /dev/cuaU0, and I can send and receive data by running "cu -l /dev/cuaU0 -s 9600" from pfSense command-line. So far so good.
I added uftdi_load="yes" to /boot/loader.conf, and after a reboot I can send and receive data via /dev/ttyU0 by running "screen /dev/ttyU0 115200". Not sure editing /boot/loader.conf is necessary, but again it seems to work fine.

Now I want to turn /dev/ttyU0 into a console port that I can use to access pfSense CLI.
From what I've read (, this *should* be possible. However, any changes I make to the /etc/ttys file seem to be overwritten after boot.
For instance, if I add the following to /etc/ttys:

ttyU0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"   vt100   on     secure

It gets overwritten with this on the next boot:

ttyU0   "/usr/libexec/getty al.3wire"   vt100   onifconsole     secure

At this point I'm still able to send/receive data on ttyU0 by connecting from pfSense command line, but this isn't what I want to do. I want to be able to access the physical serial end and have it be a command-line interface to pfSense.

Am I going about this wrong? Is adding another serial console to the SG-2440 impossible to do, or does FreeBSD have issues with creating console ports out of serial-USB devices? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Offline ecfx

• View Profile
Re: Adding a separate USB-Serial console to SG-2440 - /etc/ttys woes?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:46:17 am »
Like you I wanted to have serial console for out of band management and I succeed to assign serial console to AMT instead of local COM port. The only disadvantage is that I lost local serial console from COM port.... not a big problem if computer have a VGA port.

If you want to have other adapter assigned to serial console you have to edit:

with your COM settings:

or with device:
#Determine this value from the pciconf -l

thanks to Derelict you can have a look here:

and here for AMT related:

and freebsd doc:

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a separate USB-Serial console to SG-2440 - /etc/ttys woes?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:41 am »
You can't add a USB serial adapter as a console, at least not that I've ever seen work. The USB device is not present early enough for it to be viable as a console for debugging purposes. It's a path that only leads to anger, heartache, and disappointment.

You can turn a cheap rpi or similar into a network/OOB USB serial console mux/server that connects to loads of other USB serial consoles quickly and easily with off the shelf hardware and without modding anything. Just USB hub(s) and such.
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!