The pfSense Store

Author Topic: Unofficial QOTOM Hardware Topic  (Read 23458 times)

Offline jgiannakas

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial QOTOM Hardware Topic
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2017, 06:03:48 am »
Hi! My Q354G4 i5 5250u gets very hot. Idling at 60 degrees...room temperature 22 degrees. Is this normal?

Have you enabled PowerD (system-> advanced -> misc)? If not your CPU is running at full speed all the time and it would heat up more than if it was allowed to throttle down when idle. Enable it and set it to adaptive and temps should drop by a few degrees. I was also a bit uncomfortable with the box warming up to the mid 50s when idle so just placed a 12mm usb powered fan on top of it running at the lowest setting possible and now its reading about 45C with ambient of 26C

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2017, 07:05:45 am »
Hi! My Q354G4 i5 5250u gets very hot. Idling at 60 degrees...room temperature 22 degrees. Is this normal?

No, that's not supposed to happen. Check if the thermal pad, SoC and heatsink make good contact.

Offline TommyL

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 07:48:17 am »

Have you enabled PowerD (system-> advanced -> misc)? If not your CPU is running at full speed all the time and it would heat up more than if it was allowed to throttle down when idle. Enable it and set it to adaptive and temps should drop by a few degrees. I was also a bit uncomfortable with the box warming up to the mid 50s when idle so just placed a 12mm usb powered fan on top of it running at the lowest setting possible and now its reading about 45C with ambient of 26C

Enabled PowerD, and temps dropped 10 degrees instantly. Thanks a lot for you help!! :)

Online Animosity022

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 10:56:59 am »
I've been using this for a bit and noticed as soon as I turn on traffic shaping and push some traffic through, I get a crash.

I've tried similiar configs with my previous box and works fine. I've tried HFCS and PRIQ and tried rebooting after I get all my rules setup. Once I push some traffic, it goes poof though and crashes hard.

Anyone see this experience with this?

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 12:10:50 pm »
I've been using this for a bit and noticed as soon as I turn on traffic shaping and push some traffic through, I get a crash.

I've tried similiar configs with my previous box and works fine. I've tried HFCS and PRIQ and tried rebooting after I get all my rules setup. Once I push some traffic, it goes poof though and crashes hard.

I don't have any problem like this. What version are you using and do you get crash reports?

Online Animosity022

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »

I don't have any problem like this. What version are you using and do you get crash reports?

I'm just on 2.3.4. I previously had an identical traffic shaping config via a different box before so my config is pretty normal. Just a few queues and only a few rules too. I reported the crashes but was going to test out a little more once I got home as I can only haver my wife reboot the box a few times while I'm at work :)

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 12:26:00 pm »

I'm just on 2.3.4. I previously had an identical traffic shaping config via a different box before so my config is pretty normal. Just a few queues and only a few rules too. I reported the crashes but was going to test out a little more once I got home as I can only haver my wife reboot the box a few times while I'm at work :)

Okay, try and see if there are any core dumps or if there is anything on the console. Most crashes when using queues (limiters, shapers etc) seem to be related to driver/firmware issues, it might be possible to alleviate some of that by disabling all hardware offloading systems. In practise, that offloading doesn't help much and is often broken.

Online Animosity022

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 12:31:07 pm »

Okay, try and see if there are any core dumps or if there is anything on the console. Most crashes when using queues (limiters, shapers etc) seem to be related to driver/firmware issues, it might be possible to alleviate some of that by disabling all hardware offloading systems. In practise, that offloading doesn't help much and is often broken.

I only hard the "Disable hardware checksum offload" still not checked as I'm guessing the default is like that. I'll turn check that box and all 3 will be checked and reboot and try to play around a little and see if that helps. Thanks.

Offline Waqar.UK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 12:24:29 pm »

I use this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002KTVFTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  very quiet in operation with a 12 volt adaptor.
My CPU temperatures during this rare warm UK summer is attached.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:27:48 pm by Waqar.UK »

Offline zin105

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2017, 01:25:07 pm »
I can't recommend ordering from their official Aliexpress.com-page. I picked DHL as shipment, and it's been 3 weeks now and all I have is a tracking number. It seems that they are out of stock but they don't dare to say that. I have messaged them a few times and all they say is "it's shipped". Atleast there's buyers protection so in a few days I will get a full refund.

Very annoying when a DHL Express package should take maximum a week to arrive to my country from China.

Offline bingo600

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2017, 01:48:54 pm »
I can't recommend ordering from their official Aliexpress.com-page.

While i do understand your frustration.

I have ordered two i5's from the Qotom Aliexpress store (UPS shipping though) , and it took around the announced 10 days.
No problems at all.

I was hit by a "Sold out" on my first buy , but they contacted me to say so. And offered to cancel.

/Bingo
pfSense 2.4.1

QOTOM-Q355G4 Quad Lan.
CPU  : Core i5 5250U
Ram : 8GB Kingston DDR3LV 1600
LAN  : 4 x Intel 211
Disk  : 240G Toshiba Sata SSD

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2017, 06:13:08 pm »
I can't recommend ordering from their official Aliexpress.com-page. I picked DHL as shipment, and it's been 3 weeks now and all I have is a tracking number. It seems that they are out of stock but they don't dare to say that. I have messaged them a few times and all they say is "it's shipped". Atleast there's buyers protection so in a few days I will get a full refund.

Very annoying when a DHL Express package should take maximum a week to arrive to my country from China.

I can recommend ordering form their official Aliexpress.com-page as it worked fine for me and the process seems to be solid. I ordered there and it was delivered in 4 days via DHL.

Offline peehoo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:18 am »
Sorry for asking but can I stick my Huawei E3772 to the USB port and use that as a RED interface? Is it complicated to get it working? How about speed?

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2017, 07:07:15 am »
Sorry for asking but can I stick my Huawei E3772 to the USB port and use that as a RED interface? Is it complicated to get it working? How about speed?

Yes it works. Speed depends on your ISP and contract.

Offline noons

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:23 am »
So I bought a J1900 model from QOTOM with the intel nic's 4 months ago. What a solid box, it has been running without issue since installation. The unthinkable happened, Verizion started offering gigabit speeds and I made the jump. Surprisingly this thing is pushing about 850Mb/s Download/Upload during the speedtest.. Way above what I was expecting as others have mentioned around 650-700 w/ the realtec nic version. Question is can I pump more throughput with the i5 version and get closer to that ~940 number, I don't seem to be cpu bottle necked as cpu is surprisingly only sitting at 30% when the test is being run.. Going to retest this later tonight with a ERL for comparison purposes and to rule out client side issues.