pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: Unofficial QOTOM Hardware Topic  (Read 23278 times)

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial QOTOM Hardware Topic
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:24 am »
Is it PPPoE?

Offline noons

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:55 am »
Thankfully no.

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 11:01:41 am »
Thankfully no.

Good, at least that means you're not stuck on mpd and PPPoE not being fast enough. In my country, everything about 100Mbit gets a routed subnet (sometimes with, sometimes without DHCP), everything below it is still PPP, sadly. (PPPoE and PPPoA sometimes, and the VDSL+VLAN version, MPoA? MaOP? PoAM? don't remember...)

Does it have 2 ports or did you get a multiport model?

Offline noons

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 11:15:27 am »
It is the newer 2016 design of the 4 port model with the usb3 port in the front and intel nics.

Offline BlueKobold

• pfSense rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2017, 01:00:43 pm »
So I bought a J1900 model from QOTOM with the intel nic's 4 months ago. What a solid box, it has been running without issue since installation. The unthinkable happened, Verizion started offering gigabit speeds and I made the jump. Surprisingly this thing is pushing about 850Mb/s Download/Upload during the speedtest..
If you are not using PPPoE as told by you at this account, that the 850 MBit/s will be reached only by not using PPPoE
that is single threated. And on top of this 850 MBit/s the TCP/IP overhead and you may at ~900 - 920 MBit/s in real!

Way above what I was expecting as others have mentioned around 650-700 w/ the realtec nic version.
Can be based on the RealTek nic and drivers, on the PPPoE usage and its limitations or both of them together, who
knows it really?

Question is can I pump more throughput with the i5 version and get closer to that ~940 number,
I would definitely say yes, the J1900 is not likes an Intel Core i5, so that meant cpu core is not cpu core!
920 MBit/s - 940 MBit/s will be the max. as I see it right pending on the TCP/IP overhead that must be count on top of this!

I don't seem to be cpu bottle necked as cpu is surprisingly only sitting at 30% when the test is being run..
I would give it a try out and will play with some tunings right to see what is going on. You can fairly save your config and
do a backup of your pfSense, play around and test it and then you will be able to rebuild it very fast.

Going to retest this later tonight with a ERL for comparison purposes and to rule out client side issues.
Can be nice to see what others will be able to realize for sure, but it is not a x86 device its MIPS based and so it would
not really able to be compared against other architectures, but for having numbers and to compare the price range of
those boxes this will be fine.

In my country, everything about 100Mbit gets a routed subnet (sometimes with, sometimes without DHCP),
Likes here in Germany, we must get a business contract for solving around this, and to get VPN working over LTE!   
Greetings from Germany
Frank

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2017, 01:11:20 pm »
With^. Tweak the settings a bit and see if you can squeeze more out of that J1900. I think with the multiple ports you could try creating a 2nd LAN with a different subnet, and then connect two systems on those and iperf between them. Because pfSense has to do the routing and firewalling just like with WAN (but not NAT), you can at least check that the NICs work will enough.

So LAN1 -> LAN2 iperf, maybe you can get line rates there so you know the NICs are fast enough. Or maybe try the beta, it is based on FreeBSD 11 which has newer drivers and a newer kernel.

Also: try with and without hardware offloading. Sometimes hardware offloading is slower and/or more error prone than doing it in software. So check the offload settings and flip them around to see what works best. Lets squeeze this box to the max!

Offline noons

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2017, 06:56:02 pm »
I ended up connecting directly from my desktop to the ONT and ended up getting the exact same speeds, so it doesn't appear my box is a limiting factor. So the good news is this Qotom-Q190G4 can easily handle 1Gb/s without plugins/vpn/ipsec/PPPoE. Obviously anything else will severely limit it. Also given the new news about 2.5 obviously I can no longer recommend this box though you might get a good two years out of it before 2.5 actually hits GA. I had contemplated ordering the i5, but I might as well continue using this until then and hopefully Qotom or even netgate will have more faster/affordable options. 

Offline BlueKobold

• pfSense rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2017, 09:10:59 pm »
I ended up connecting directly from my desktop to the ONT and ended up getting the exact same speeds, so it doesn't appear my box is a limiting factor.
I guess if you play around with the mbuf size and/or the numqueue size you could get out some small gain but that's it then.
Perhaps you will reach let us say ~900 MBit/s and plus the TCP/IP overhead you will nearly come close to that 1 real GBit/s.

For sure if you will be not installing any additional packets, this will be for a longer time nice to go with, but if so and you are
willing to install let us say snort and pfBlockerNG & DNSBL you may loose more and more throughput then. So the i5 can be
later a really good choice.
Greetings from Germany
Frank

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2017, 06:17:14 am »
Hello,

First steps with qoqom and pfsense.
I woud like to run pihole and pfsense on the same box. Any recommendations on what VM to accomplish this ?

Thanks

Koen

Don't do that. Once you have something like pfSense there is no need for hacky stuff like PiHole. If you want to have custom DNS rules or filtering rules you can simply use the DNS Server in pfSense and things like pfBlocker to do that.

Offline peehoo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 07:03:59 am »
Sorry for asking but can I stick my Huawei E3772 to the USB port and use that as a RED interface? Is it complicated to get it working? How about speed?

Yes it works. Speed depends on your ISP and contract.

Hmm... any change for guidance howto? I received my qotom and cannot get it work...

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:27 am »
Sorry for asking but can I stick my Huawei E3772 to the USB port and use that as a RED interface? Is it complicated to get it working? How about speed?

Yes it works. Speed depends on your ISP and contract.

Hmm... any change for guidance howto? I received my qotom and cannot get it work...

Plug it in, and check if the OS registers the USB device. If not: device might be broken or your pfSense might be too old. If it does: configure it in Interfaces.

Offline peehoo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2017, 03:27:06 pm »
Hi! My Q354G4 i5 5250u gets very hot. Idling at 60 degrees...room temperature 22 degrees. Is this normal?

Have you enabled PowerD (system-> advanced -> misc)? If not your CPU is running at full speed all the time and it would heat up more than if it was allowed to throttle down when idle. Enable it and set it to adaptive and temps should drop by a few degrees. I was also a bit uncomfortable with the box warming up to the mid 50s when idle so just placed a 12mm usb powered fan on top of it running at the lowest setting possible and now its reading about 45C with ambient of 26C

HI!

i've a brand new Q355G4 and cannot find that kind of settings at bios... Oops... sorry... noob...

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2017, 09:02:16 pm »
Hi! My Q354G4 i5 5250u gets very hot. Idling at 60 degrees...room temperature 22 degrees. Is this normal?

Have you enabled PowerD (system-> advanced -> misc)? If not your CPU is running at full speed all the time and it would heat up more than if it was allowed to throttle down when idle. Enable it and set it to adaptive and temps should drop by a few degrees. I was also a bit uncomfortable with the box warming up to the mid 50s when idle so just placed a 12mm usb powered fan on top of it running at the lowest setting possible and now its reading about 45C with ambient of 26C

HI!

i've a brand new Q355G4 and cannot find that kind of settings at bios... Oops... sorry... noob...

It is set in pfSense, not BIOS

Offline nicolaj

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2017, 07:42:27 am »
Question is can I pump more throughput with the i5 version and get closer to that ~940 number,
I would definitely say yes, the J1900 is not likes an Intel Core i5, so that meant cpu core is not cpu core!
920 MBit/s - 940 MBit/s will be the max. as I see it right pending on the TCP/IP overhead that must be count on top of this!

I would say no to that, i'm running a j1900 and there is no performance difference from running power-d at minimum which is ~1300mhz or adaptive which is ~2ghz. The j1900 easily handles 1gbit. At ~1300mhz i don't see cpu usage under load over 60%. At this very moment i'm having ~130mbit going in and ~850mbit going out and the cpu load is 38%.

Btw. anyone have experience with Q150S-S07, it uses the RTL8111E ? And i'm kinda scared of buying it if the performance isn't up to par on a 1gbit connection.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:03:04 pm by nicolaj »

Offline jgiannakas

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2017, 08:31:34 am »
There is quite a bit of difference with the core I5. It significantly impacts vpn performance and routing cpu utilisation.