pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: Bug: Proxy ARP mode of Virtual IP GUI does not cleanup choparp processess  (Read 106 times)

Offline whorfin

• View Profile
Observed Behavior:
  • choparp processess are spawned whenever Proxy ARP Virtual IP is created in GUI
  • they are not cleaned up when a Proxy ARP VIP is edited or deleted

To Reproduce:
  • Create a new Virtual IP of type "Proxy ARP" in the Firewall->Virtual IP GUI, WAN iface, single address, <IP1>
  • Save and click the "Update" button
  • observe with ps and friends a new "choparp" proc is created, with <IP1> as argument
  • Edit that existing <IP1> VIP, change only the single address, to <IP2>
  • Save and click the "Update" button
  • observe with ps and friends a new "choparp" proc is created, with <IP2> as argument; there is also still a "choparp" proc running for <IP1> - first bug
  • Delete the <IP2> VIP entirely
  • click the "Update" button
  • observe with ps and friends two "choparp" procs running, one for the old <IP1> and the other for the just deleted <IP2> - second bug

A cursory read of
Code: [Select]
interface_proxyarp_configure() shows it trying to cleanup choparp procs, but the overall workflow is not functioning correctly

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you change step 4 and beyond to delete the VIP for IP1 and then add a new one for IP2, rather than changing the IP Address, does that work as you expect?
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!

Offline whorfin

• View Profile
If you change step 4 and beyond to delete the VIP for IP1 and then add a new one for IP2, rather than changing the IP Address, does that work as you expect?

Nope.  If I make step 4 be "delete the VIP for IP1", I still see choparp running for <IP1> afterwards.

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I can't reproduce this at all on 2.4. Every change I make is properly reflected in the process list, including deleting addresses, changing IP addresses, or changing subnet masks on larger entries.

Can you try it again there?
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!

Offline whorfin

• View Profile
Sounds like it might be config dependent then; my setup has bridges and VLAN and OpenVPN etc

I'll be glad to try when 2.4 releases; glad to hear that signs are positive

Cheers