pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: HP Pavilion a6242N for PFSense Machine  (Read 699 times)

Offline NollipfSense

• View Profile
Re: HP Pavilion a6242N for PFSense Machine
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 12:31:01 am »
Why not using a USB memory stick and version 2.4.1 ?
I think your dvd is just not bootable/readable.
The reason for that can be many things :
1) Burnerror(s)
2) Wrong type of burning method
3) Problem with the dvd-reader/writer

In the begin with my first steps in pfSense, i have used also cd's to install,
but wasted a lot cd's and more problems to get it working.
Since then i always use a USB memory stick and Win32 Disk Imager to place the .IMG file ,
less problems to install, and much faster then from cd or dvd.

Grtz
DeLorean

The machine boots up PFSense 2.3...it's only when the Intel -i350 dual installed that it will not boot...please note that PFSense 2.3 is already installed. I just learn that the Intel - i350 T2 will not work in the one PCIe✕16 slot as that slot per the manufacturer is for graphics card only. I have a PCIe✕1 slot so I am wondering whether the Intel - i350 in there...will it? Just tried...no, it won't work...I have to get a PCIe✕1 NIC.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:38:12 am by NollipfSense »

Offline NollipfSense

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:10 pm »
Well, finding out that the BIOS is rigged by HP...there is no way to enable PCIe LAN and disabling onboard LAN causes the computer not to boot...which implies the only way around is to update the BIOS from its current version v.5.18 to 5.27; however, HP claimed that could mess up HP recovery...who cares. It's the manufacturer of the motherboard is the real boss! The question now is whether to flash the BIOS with the Intel - i350 installed.

Lesson learned is a computer from the trash, despite working, may not be good for a PFSense machine.

Offline DeLorean

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 06:27:59 pm »
The question now is whether to flash the BIOS with the Intel - i350 installed.

I always update BIOS with least necessary hardware installed, so add-on cards like NIC etc..... always removed.
The less hardware is installed, the less hardware can interfere with the BIOS update proces.

Grtz
DeLorean

Offline NollipfSense

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 09:46:38 am »
The question now is whether to flash the BIOS with the Intel - i350 installed.

I always update BIOS with least necessary hardware installed, so add-on cards like NIC etc..... always removed.
The less hardware is installed, the less hardware can interfere with the BIOS update proces.

Grtz
DeLorean

Thank you Delorean...well, after the slight disappointment with the NIC issue, I decided to pimp it by upgrading the machine more for the learning. I will install this: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor 89W and a 16GB SSD as well as use the current HD for date logging storage. The processor is coming from Hong Kong, hopefully, in couple of days...I also bought ths: Dual Port PCI-E Intel 82575 Gigabit PCIe Ethernet Server Adapter Network Card 1x, also from Hong Kong, just in case the flashing to v.5.27 has no effect to enable PCIe✕16 for non-graphic card. I got the BIOS from another forum in that name.

Offline NollipfSense

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 11:35:26 am »
Got BIOS flashed...no luck getting the PCIe✕16 slot to accept and enable the Intel-i350 NIC...so, will have to wait a week or two  for the NIC - Dual Port PCIe✕1 Intel 82575 Gigabit card to arrive. The machine boots PFSense v2.3 just fine and eagerly expects a robust performance with the SSD.

Offline NollipfSense

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Today at 04:04:27 pm »
Just to follow up, NIC arrived and installed...had only two problems which had been resolved that was posted here: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=140315.0

So now, I am waiting for the processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor 89W) to arrive. However, here's an insight of the performance after running Snort, Suricata, pfBlockerNG, and Squid. After the processor is installed, I'll continue with further fine tuning. I am extremely happy with results so far despite the machine will last just a year (AES-NI issue).