Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: IPv6 hosting website  (Read 561 times)

Offline bigtfromaz

• View Profile
Re: IPv6 hosting website
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 02:56:52 pm »
I don't know if pfSense can filter on a partial IP address, but the lower 64 bits of the address are determined by the MAC address and so will not change, unless you change hardware.

It would be a nice feature though wouldn't it?

Offline bimmerdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 04:02:08 pm »
IPv6 has something called "privacy addresses", which change regularly.

I saw those and disabled them, :)
Why disable privacy addresses?

Offline bimmerdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:15 pm »
I don't know if pfSense can filter on a partial IP address, but the lower 64 bits of the address are determined by the MAC address and so will not change, unless you change hardware.

This feature has been requested numerous times.

Offline JKnott

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:46 pm »
Why disable privacy addresses?

No need for them on a server, where you'd normally use the MAC based address.  However, I also don't see the need to delete them.  They're not hurting anything.

Offline bigtfromaz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 06:45:38 pm »
OK.  If the feature has been requested numerous times, can anyone tell me if there are facilities for managing the firewall from script?  If so, I guess I would need documentation.  This would appear to be a simple matter of detecting a change to the prefix from a given interface, then changing and applying rules having the old prefix to refer to the new prefix.  It is not a fix, but a work around. 

For now I am going to turn IPv6 off on my WAN interface and set up an opt/gif tunnel using Hurricane Electric.  I have one running in a sandbox and I must be really close to the Phoenix entry point.  It seems to be adding only about 10 ms to my ping times.  It's a shame that Cox, with billions of subnets at their disposal, won't supply a static one to the account.  HE is doing it for free.

This feature has been requested numerous times.

Offline virgiliomi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 07:48:13 pm »
I was hoping that pfSense would have an ability to define a firewall rule Destination something like this: "PD::aaaa:bbbb:cccc:dddd" where "PD" is a variable whose value is the prefix.  This would be similar to the way they prepend the delegated prefix to the host range in the DHCPv6 server.

Funny you mention this... I asked for this functionality over a year ago. See this: Allow IPv6 firewall entries with dynamic PD prefix + static host address

Offline bimmerdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »
It's a shame that Cox, with billions of subnets at their disposal, won't supply a static one to the account.  HE is doing it for free.
Cox is a typical ISP. HE is not a typical ISP. If HE offered residential internet service, I would pay more for it.