pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: Power bounced on SG-2440 now only tries PXE boot. Is it fried?  (Read 240 times)

Offline SpaceBass

• View Profile
Power bounced on SG-2440 now only tries PXE boot. Is it fried?
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:18:37 pm »
Ugh! People doing  construction down the road sliced a line.  My UPS ran dead in my system did not shut down gracefully. Now when I watch it boot on the console, it tries to boot with a network boot from each of the interfaces and then shows a “booting from CBFS “screen.

It doesn’t seem to want to use any of the internal devices - almost like they aren’t there. Does this mean the internal storage is toast?

I have a backup and can reinstall. But of course it’s a bit old and I’d hate to do that if there’s any chance I can get this to boot and get a current config off it.

Kicking myself because not only do I know better, but I’ve had a sticky note reminding me to set up auto backup on my desk for a week.

Offline ivor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Netgate
Re: Power bounced on SG-2440 now only tries PXE boot. Is it fried?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 04:33:53 am »
Please contact our support so they can determine if the unit is damaged.

https://customercare.netgate.com/
Need help fast? Commercial support: https://www.netgate.com/support/

Offline timt1

• View Profile
Re: Power bounced on SG-2440 now only tries PXE boot. Is it fried?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:24:56 pm »
Ugh! People doing  construction down the road sliced a line.  My UPS ran dead in my system did not shut down gracefully. Now when I watch it boot on the console, it tries to boot with a network boot from each of the interfaces and then shows a “booting from CBFS “screen.

It doesn’t seem to want to use any of the internal devices - almost like they aren’t there. Does this mean the internal storage is toast?

If you're on console when the 2440 is powered up - and select a boot disk - does it come up?

Been there myself, and posted a thread this evening for a similar situation - it was stuck at the bootloader.

Not sure what your config is - but I have an mSATA installed on my 2440, and prior to last time around, I still had good partitions on the eMMC.

See my thread for possible corrective actions if mSATA is installed.