pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: Logging issue  (Read 2454 times)

Offline thinair

• View Profile
    • nelsonpapel.com
Logging issue
« on: December 20, 2005, 10:02:55 pm »
When I power cycle my ADSL modem, shouldn't I be getting some sort of logs regarding my PPPoE connection??  When I turn it off and on again, all I get is this:
"mpd: [pppoe] LCP: no reply to 1 echo request(s)"
But nothing else.  Isn't there anything else that should be going on here and logged??
Nelson Papel

Offline hoba

• What was the problem to this solution again?
    • View Profile
    • pfSense
Re: Logging issue
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 01:49:46 am »
If it's connected directly to the pfsense you should see some output from devd indicating that the interface goes down or up (should read something about a hotplug event I think). However, as this sounds like you are using pppoe I'm not sure. If the interface is static or dhcp this should happen. I remember that we had some fun getting hotplug events to work several versions ago. Do you have issues getting the connection up again after powercycling the modem?

Offline thinair

• View Profile
    • nelsonpapel.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 04:23:38 am »
The modem is not directly connected, it goes though a switch first.  I only have one wired NIC in the computer, and a bunch of VLAN's, the modem being on it's own VLAN.  I guess it won't sense the connection going down because the link doesn't go down between the firewall and the switch.

But still, wouldn't there be PPPoE negotiations?

When I power cycle it's only for about 5 seconds, and there are no issues getting the connection up right away.
Nelson Papel

Offline hoba

• What was the problem to this solution again?
    • View Profile
    • pfSense
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:43:28 am »
That makes sense as this way the pfsense can't detect the linkdown and the pfsense is not killing the pppoe right after the first timeout. Should be no issue though.