pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: max PPTP connections  (Read 7096 times)

Offline moo

• View Profile
max PPTP connections
« on: December 23, 2005, 09:38:25 am »
can we only have 16 PPTP connections? we can't change the /28? or I'm missing something?

thanks

Offline sullrich

• View Profile
    • pfSense

Offline moo

• View Profile
Re: max PPTP connections
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 08:12:27 pm »
Ha, that's awesome!!!

thanks

Offline wjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 03:39:33 pm »
Any plans to include making this configurable through the GUI?  For user friendlyness sake of course.   ;D

Offline sullrich

• View Profile
    • pfSense
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 04:00:28 pm »
Any plans to include making this configurable through the GUI?  For user friendlyness sake of course.   ;D

No, I doubt we'll expose these functions since not many ppl need them.  It's rather easy to edit config.xml and add the 2 lines.

Offline wjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 04:08:06 pm »
I can respect that.  In the future, I plan on using the PPTP server to secure wireless captive portal clients.  I basically want to half the subnet I will use between the DHCP addresses and the PPTP addresses.

Offline ssam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 03:39:45 am »
i have a question here, i've added those 2 lines, and im using pptp for securing wifi too:) But when you go to the pptp option, the max pptp clients number is still on 16 (i think thats because the value is hardcoded?), and when i set the iprange, its still being calculated by the /28 range. Is it possible to change this somehow?

Offline wjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:07:31 am »
i have a question here, i've added those 2 lines, and im using pptp for securing wifi too:) But when you go to the pptp option, the max pptp clients number is still on 16 (i think thats because the value is hardcoded?), and when i set the iprange, its still being calculated by the /28 range. Is it possible to change this somehow?

1.  Make sure your using the latest pfsense.
2.  add kern.ipc.maxpipekva="2514944" to /boot/loader.conf
3.  edit /etc/inc/globals.inc.  I am have been to set the values to what is below without experiencing any errors ONLY AFTER I did step 2.  I have not however tested it with 64 pptp concurrent clients. 

"n_pptp_units" => 64,  /* this value can be overriden in pptp->n_pptp_units */
    "pptp_subnet" => 26,   /* this value can be overriden in pptp->pptp_subnet  */
4.  Note - Changes to /etc/inc/globals.inc are lost after every firmware upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 05:22:49 am by wjoyce »

Offline ssam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 12:20:27 am »
thanks a lot for this guide will try it!

Offline ssam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 04:46:00 am »
its working thanks, but im wondering what does this value mean? kern.ipc.maxpipekva="2514944" ?

Offline wjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 05:52:18 am »
its working thanks, but im wondering what does this value mean? kern.ipc.maxpipekva="2514944" ?

I suggest you do a google search, I'm not an expert on kernal tuning.  I would assume ipc stands for interprocess communication and the kern.ipc.maxpipekva is some sort of buffer.