pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: "Unable to check for updates" again  (Read 1366 times)

Offline stephenw10

• View Profile
Re: "Unable to check for updates" again
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »
My understanding is that the DNS handling would be the same however you make a good point. At the console you are, likely, logged in as root. The script that runs XMLRPC runs as admin, I think, hence should have similar rights etc but maybe not the same path. Hmm.

Steve

Offline justsomeguy6575

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:55:44 pm »
I had this issue as well with 2.1.  It happened to be resolving a different IP for updates.pfsense.org than my ISP's DNS was for some reason.  I was able to resolve it (no pun intended) by going to System -> General Setup and checking "Do not use the DNS Forwarder as a DNS server for the firewall." This ended up with the ability to ping updates.pfsense.org from the pfsense interface and resolving to the real address of 66.111.2.169.  I'd imagine its an issue with the DNS Forwarder caching something bogus.

I've always been able to resolve updates.pfsense.org to 66.111.2.169
I tried checking that option to not use the DNS forwarder but it didn't make any difference. I may try temporally disabling the dns forwarder completely but I'm not sure it will change anything that checking the previous option wouldn't have done.

Offline justsomeguy6575

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 09:02:06 pm »
My understanding is that the DNS handling would be the same however you make a good point. At the console you are, likely, logged in as root. The script that runs XMLRPC runs as admin, I think, hence should have similar rights etc but maybe not the same path. Hmm.

Steve

I was logged in as root but I just logged in as admin and was still able to download the file from updates.pfsense.com