Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Strange problem with slow download speed on WAN  (Read 25928 times)

Offline trunix

• View Profile
Re: Strange problem with slow download speed on WAN
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:05 pm »
Yeah, after looking at the pics of your Soekris and realizing all the nics are mounted directly to the board, I was thinking psu as a possible culprit as well...but Steve beat me to it!  My other thoughts were your storage device, but of the two, I think a failing psu aligns better with the problems you're experiencing.

Offline /CS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »
PSU? Never thought about that but it makes sense!
Just to mention that during ALL kind of tests behind pfSense mentioned above the speed was limited. Even when I have no errors/collisions on the interfaces the speed is limited.

I have installed nanobsd version of pfSense on an external 2.5" Fujitsu SATA disk.
Modem: DSL-EasyBOX 803 A by Astoria Networks/TWONKY.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:19:24 pm by /CS »

Offline trunix

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »
I would swap the psu and see if that fixes things.  In any case, it's probably a good idea to have a spare one on-hand.  Let us know if that's the solution so others can benefit!

I wonder if your external hdd is increasing your power draw enough that it's shortening your overall psu lifetime.  If the psu is indeed the problem, and the replacement fails in a similar time period, you may want to consider a mSATA ssd.

Offline /CS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
Thanks for your support guys.
I will check with a new PSU and let you know. :)

Offline /CS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 12:45:41 pm »
I contacted Soekris and they also suggested to use a new PSU.
I just did and ... the same problem! :(
What else could be?  ???

Offline stephenw10

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 01:19:06 pm »
Hmm. What did you replace the PSU with? Was it of sufficient amperage?
Hard to say what else could be causing the negotiation problems, or even if that is a symptom rather than a cause.
You could try putting a switch/hub in between the modem and pfSense box if you have one to hand.

Steve

Offline /CS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 02:01:09 pm »
What did you replace the PSU with? Was it of sufficient amperage?
You could try putting a switch/hub in between the modem and pfSense box if you have one to hand.

My first and my second PSU were the recommended parts by Soekris for this board (12V, 3A).
I will use a hub between pfSense and the modem and will update this post within half an hour.

- UPDATE1:
   I used a hub between :
   >pfSense WAN iface and the modem...same problem.
     [PC--(1000baseT<full-duplex>)--pfSenseLAN--pfSenseWAN--(100baseTX<full-duplex>)--Modem], 0 errors, 0 collisions
   >pfSense LAN iface and the PC...same problem.

- UPDATE2:
   Downloading (Copy-Paste large file) from the LAN PC to a WLAN PC over RDP through pfsense box gives me around 15+ Mbps...not bad and with low CPU/Memory usage.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:02:07 pm by /CS »

Offline trunix

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 03:50:52 pm »
Huh.  I figured a new psu would fix you up.  You might want to try running iperf from one wired pc on one interface to another wired pc on another interface and see what results you get.  Jperf provides a nice little gui for running under Windows, it can be a little finicky to get working, but I've used it many times with good results.

I wonder if your pcb got zapped somehow, affecting all your onboard nics, the controller or something else.

Offline trunix

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »
It may also be worthwhile to reinstall pfsense to ensure it's a definitely hardware issue and not bad behavior from an add-on package.

Offline /CS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 07:12:44 am »
If I finally reinstall pfSense nanobsd version in a new HDD which one would you recommend for Soekris board net6501-50?
mSATA SSD maybe? Any recommended vendor/product?

I'm not yet convinced to reinstall the system from scratch but I'm asking in case I will do so.

Offline trunix

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 09:07:40 am »
I would think any of the Transcend mSATA SSDs that are listed on the product page of your 6501 would be great choices.  I've even bought ones off eBay like the one below.  I think any of these are reliable enough that you could run the full version of pfSense instead of the nanobsd image if you wished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221163403530

Can your Soekris board boot off usb?  That would be a non-destructive way to temporarily run another image to see if that improves your situation.

Offline /CS

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 09:15:09 am »
Can your Soekris board boot off usb?  That would be a non-destructive way to temporarily run another image to see if that improves your situation.

Yes it can, so I will try to boot from USB and test before any hardware replacement or complete reinstallation.

Offline trunix

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 09:24:58 am »
I'd be interested to see if that changes things.  Definitely don't want to put you through a spending spree and not have it fix anything, though I don't mind spending other people's $$ :D

When you accomplished the large file transfer from your the LAN PC to your WLAN PC over RDP were both machines wired directly to the GE interfaces?

Offline /CS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 11:51:39 am »
I'd be interested to see if that changes things.  Definitely don't want to put you through a spending spree and not have it fix anything, though I don't mind spending other people's $$ :D

Lol, don't worry trunix, if I would think your recommendation doesn't make sense I wouldn't follow it. ;)
The whole troubleshooting didn't cost me anything till now.

When you accomplished the large file transfer from your the LAN PC to your WLAN PC over RDP were both machines wired directly to the GE interfaces?

The LAN PC was on GE interface and the WLAN PC on wireless 11g. Both connected to pfSense box.

Offline trunix

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »
Is your wireless connection a separate access point, or is it integrated in either the modem or the 6501?  What was different from this PC transfer test that netted 15+ Mbps than the earlier one you conducted that only resulted in 7-10 Mbps?