pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: Socks5 Proxy  (Read 6120 times)

Offline dlewis_nepean

• View Profile
Socks5 Proxy
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to get PFSENSE to act as a socks5 proxy ?  I have squid installed for http but I have some need for socks5 as well.   I don't see any packages available at this point. 

Any ideas ?

Tks,

Dave

Offline aaronouthier

• View Profile
Re: Socks5 Proxy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:47:06 pm »
I know of a way to setup a Socks 5 Proxy using SSH, for the purpose of connecting one computer or network to another network, kind of like a poor-man's VPN. It really depends on that for which what you need the Proxy to be used. If you are trying to create a proxy-filter (ie, with SquidGuard or DansGuardian), this method won't work, AFAIK.

If you are curious about the "Poor-man's VPN" of which I spoke, google "SSH tunnel". There is a command-line switch that causes the router to accept connections from network-connected machines, rather than just local (loopback) connections, if desired. I don't recall what is that particular switch.

Offline kejianshi

• Debugging...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:23:03 pm »
Yes - Dynamic proxy can be used to access IPs behind the pfsense as well as the web as well, however simply using a VPN on pfsense is better if thats an option.

Offline dlewis_nepean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:25:49 pm »
What I'm trying to do is direct some traffic from users, to force it to a certain connection. I have multiple connections, one of which has a pfsense box with a open vpn tunnel.  What I'd like the ability to do is set the socks proxy in the software to point to the pfsense box while allowing normal surfing out the main connection.  Right now the only way I can do this is set specific users to default out the pfsense box which is proving to cause some other problems. The pfsense connection is faster, but the routing is not as good, so thus the want to split.

I don't think the SSH idea will work in this case.

I'm surprised that there isn't another solution. squid works perfectly for http, but nothing that I can find works for SOCKS.

Offline kejianshi

• Debugging...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:40:31 pm »
Openvpn can easily handle that.  But then again, so can SSH/Dynamic proxy. 

I'd still use vpn though.

Offline Jim Coogan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 04:14:21 pm »
This is close to what I am trying to achieve. Main goal being that the same client computer could send traffic out to WAN and out over the pfsense's client Open vpn connection if its a program that is set to use a socks proxy, at the same time. I don't want to route all of a client computers traffic via the vpn, just select programs.

ie everything on a client computer uses direct wan connection except firefox which has been configured to use a socks proxy pointing to the pfsense and then pfsense socks server would proxy it out over the openvpn client connection on the pfsense.

My difference is that my pfsense is also the wan gateway, so need to not send any traffic out over the openvpn client connection except for socks client traffic. So socks server would bind to LAN net and proxy traffic out over vpn client connection. Im not clear how I would do the routing for what I just described, perhaps not possible. But also unfortunately not seeing way to run a socks server on pfsense.

Offline aln

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 01:44:47 am »
I was looking to do the same thing, socks5 server running on pfsense and tunneling all traffic over a vpn connection.
The solution is to install the "dante" package from freebsd (look for the instructions on how to install freebsd package on pfsense)